Saturday 30 October 2010

Gerrin ready!

A visit to the Shakerley feeding station was pencilled in for today, and having not had much time for ringing recently, I was rather looking forward to it. I had planned to be up & out early, but an evening in Manchester last night, soon put a stop to that idea! So I rose from my pit at 11am (shocking hour for a ringer!), moped around on the couch feeling sorry for myself before getting ready and leaving for Shakerley.

P1080328

Despite the late start, sun shining on the net & a slight breeze whipping around the site, I didn’t do too badly and probably had one of the best days I’ve ever had at Shakerley! 80 birds caught, 63 new & 17 recaps.

SpeciesNew Recap
Jay1
Chaffinch111
Goldfinch12
Greenfinch7
Bullfinch41
Blue Tit75
Great Tit119
Long Tailed Tit81
Coal Tit2
6317

You will have probably have heard of the large numbers of Waxwings around at the moment. So I thought I would be prepared for their arrival, should they decide to descend on Atherton like they did in 2004/05 (250-300 on Boxing day!). So I’ve contacted a number of people who have Rowan trees in their gardens & asked permission to catch Waxwings, should they appear! Here’s hoping…..

1 comment:

  1. There's nothing quite like being prepared or confident Kane so good luck with the Waxwings when they arrive.

    ReplyDelete