Friday 27 April 2012

I Love Working For WWT!

It’s now over 6 months ago since I started my new position at the Wildfowl & Wetlands Trust HQ, Slimbridge (feels longer, for all the right reasons!) and I can honestly say that I’ve loved every single minute of it! I count myself very lucky in that I rock up for work every morning and I don’t get that ‘urgh I have to work’ feeling, plus that I get to work alongside some awesome colleagues in the Species Conservation Department & the Trust as a whole.

No two days are ever alike! And today was just like that as our Head of Species Conservation – Baz Hughes - came to my office door with a nice surprise in the form of a Great-crested Grebe that needed ringing! This bird being captured by our Reserve Warden – James Lees.

GCGRB Photo by Paul Rose.

548316_10150717135558090_614928089_9552076_2078658405_n[1] James Lees

Only around 411 Great-crested Grebes have been ringed in the UK since the start of the ringing scheme (BTO Online) – I feel privileged in getting the opportunity to handle & ring this very elegant and very understudied species.

Thanks to Baz for coming to get me & to James for capturing the bird!

All in a days work…….

No comments:

Post a Comment