Sunday 9 May 2010

End of the week.

I'm not going to be around over the next few days, so I decided to go back to the Collard Dove nest today, to see whether the chicks were big enough to hold rings. Unfortunately they were still too small ! I had a scout around though and managed to find 2 x Blackbird, 1 Song Thursh, 1 Robin and 1 Blackcap nest - all on eggs.

Week totals (Atherton, Grt Manchester) -

Blackbird - 5
Blue Tit - 4 (4 recaps)
Goldfinch - 1
Great Tit - 2
Great Spotted Woodpecker - 1
Mistle Thrush - 2
Song Thrush - 3
Starling - 6
Stock Dove - 1
Tawny Owl - 3
Great Spotted Woodpecker caught in the garden today, it's broodpatch below. Think this bird maybe nesting on the bowling green, just a few minutes away from the garden.

6 Starlings colour ringed as part of the RAS project.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kane,

    Really enjoy reading your blog. Finding very interesting as I'm going to start ringing training fairly soon.

    How long did it take you to get your C permit?

    Cheers,
    Josh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Josh,

    Great to hear from you & very many thanks for your kind comments.

    I've been ringing for around 7 years now, but started training around 2005. I got my first permit, a restricted C permit (for pulli, using traps and anything I could catch with my hands!) in 2008, then with a bit more mist net experience under my belt, I got my full C permit in early 2009.

    Good luck with your training - I'm not sure where abouts you're based, but if you're ever up in the North and fancy coming out ringing with us - you'd be more than welcome too.

    All the best,

    Kane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kane,

    Thanks for the info. I'm based in Kent and will be training at Sandwich Bay Bird Obs over the summer. Thanks for your offer, I'll bear it in mind if I'm ever up your way.

    Cheers,
    Josh

    ReplyDelete