Thursday 15 April 2010

Pulli season starts!

Tonight I was watching an adult Robin collecting food and so I decided to follow it back to its nest to see whether I could muster up some pulli to ring. Indeed I followed him back and watched him as he went into feed = bingo 5 pulli to set the ball rolling for the year.

This pair decided to ignore the many open front nest boxes on site, the ivy covered trees and decided to place their brood underneath a piece of cardboard!

Last week I had a session at Shakerley. I was going to end the feeding there for the spring but decided to keep a few feeders going, for a few more weeks. 30 birds caught, 21 new & 9 recaps.

Bullfinch - 5 (1)
Goldfinch - 6 (1)
Greenfinch - 1 (2)
Chaffinch - 2
Reed Bunting - 4
Robin - 2 (1)
Great tit - 2 (1)
Dunnock - (1)
Elsewhere I've got lots of nests on the go and have been out checking nest boxes in my local woods tonight. Tawny Owl on 3 eggs (above), Stock Dove (x7) on 2 eggs and tits just about completing their nests.

1 comment:

  1. That was a good bit of detective work - I wouldn't have looked under a tatty bit of cardboard. Just goes to show!

    ReplyDelete