Saturday 18 June 2011

Puffin Island, North Wales.

When visiting my Grandparents in Benllech, Anglesey, I often sit in their living room overlooking the sea & gazing out towards Puffin Island, wishing I was over there with all those birds!! So this week when an e-mail arrived in my inbox from Steve Dodd inviting me to join a ringing trip there today, I quickly snapped up the offer and re-arrange my weekend so that I could take part in SCAN Ringing Group’s visit to the island.

We had an absolute awesome day out on the island ringing seabirds such as Cormorant, Shag, Guillemot, Razorbill and Kittiwake. For me the highlights were helping Rachel Taylor darvic 50 Cormorant, being taught by Rachel how to use special auk rings and helping PhD student Louise Soans in catching, darvicing & attaching GPS dataloggers to Kittiwake!!

I’m unsure of the full totals from today’s trip – I know we ringed a lot of birds! However I’ll post a short update on the ringing totals when Steve has added them all up!!

Here’s a few photos from today -

P1010271

Cormorant chicks. 

 

P1010275

P1010295

P1010306

Razorbill chick

DSCF5101 

P1010332

Razorbill (with the nearest bird ringed with a special auk ring)

P1010315

Guillemot

Many thanks to Steve for the invite & to everyone involved for such a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment