Thursday 14 July 2011

Nest Record Totals & A Visit From An Old Friend!

Over the last two weeks I’ve been frantically rushing through reed-beds, up & down ladders to monitor boxes & ringing the last remaining pulli for what will be the end of my 2011 pulli season! It’s that time of the year again when I pack everything away & head on up north for my annual seabird, wader & Whooper swan fix in Iceland!

So I thought now would be an appropriate time to update the blog on this years Nest Record Totals.

Species Number of NRC’s
Barn Owl 2
Blackbird 11
Blackcap 2
Blue Tit 36
Canada Goose 2
Chaffinch 5
Collared Dove 5
Coot 8
Dunnock 1
Goldfinch 1
Grasshopper Warbler 1
Greenfinch 2
Great Tit 24
Kestrel 2
Lapwing 4
Lesser Whitethroat 1
Long Eared Owl 1
Long-tailed Tit 1
Mallard 1
Moorhen 5
Mute Swan 2
Nuthatch 1
Reed Bunting 1
Reed Warbler 62
Robin 6
Song Thrush 2
Sparrowhawk 1
Spotted Flycatcher 1
Stock Dove 3
Swallow 14
Tawny Owl 2
Treecreeper 2
Tree Sparrow 68
Whitethroat 2
Wood Pigeon 4
Wren 3
36 Species 288

All that was left to do yesterday was to ring a brood of Long Eared Owl, check the status of a Collared Dove nest, update IPMR & submit this years data to the BTO.

IMG_4145

IMG_4149

Surprisingly all five chicks were big enough for ringing, with the smallest on the far right just being big enough to hold the G ring! Our mate Ciaran on the far left who’s home from the Farne Islands for his brothers graduation (Congratulations Cal!) managed to spare us a few hours (the whole day actually!) for a good catch up! Really nice to see him home back in the great NW!

IMG_4157

Cheers to Zac for the use of his camera/photos!

So that’s it now for the next 6 weeks! I shall be out in Iceland for four of them, before flying back home (for two days!) and flying onto Russia for two weeks! So I shall blog about my trips on my return.

So long………

1 comment:

  1. Looks cracking lads, shame I missed it. There'll be plenty more :P

    ReplyDelete